Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Before 25 List: First Month Progress

I've made a list of things I want to accomplish before I turn 25 this year, read more about it here. And I figured the best way to ensure that I actually DO accomplish those items is to keep up a monthly report of how I'm doing...and yes, you are in charge of holding me accountable! Don't you love how I volunteered you? You're welcome!

Well it's been a month since I made the list and I must admit I'm kind of excited about the progress I've made...at least for it only being one month :)

The 2nd thing on my list is complete! You heard me right! Finished, kaput, done!! Okay, so I had already purchased tickets and I knew I would be going in January...but still, it counts! Just try and stop me from crossing it off! Oops, too late! Its already got a bright red line through it! You can read more about my trip to the city of music in this post.

Well next on my list is trying a new recipe every month. I'm hoping this inspires me to reach outside my "go to" meals and expand my cooking skills & culinary art. I like to cook and experiment with things, I'm just not very confident in my abilities and don't like to spend a lot of time at the end of a long day trying to decide what to put in my mouth! As a result I tend to whip up the same things week after week, and rely on ones that are quick and require very few ingredients.

So last month's new experiment....chicken pot pie:

You can find the recipe here. And let me tell you...you will quickly become addicted! I made this three times last month (yeah I know, that doesn't really help me out of my rut...but at least it added a new item to the list!). And my roommates have been requesting it again. It is SO good! And super easy!! I've been halving the recipe and using an 8x8 pan since there are only 3 of us, but it works great!

Another item on the list is to lose ten pounds. I think this has been on my resolution list every year since I graduated from college. Some years it happens, and some I just put back on the ten I lost the year before. Hmm...yeah great cycle, huh? Well I am pretty active normally, but have been attending a gym where the schedule changes so often its hard to keep up or remember when I can go and when I can't. So in January I cancelled that membership and with my roommate joined the local Y. Here in the Treasure Valley there are 4 different YMCA locations...which really gives us no excuse for missing that gym time. I'm hoping that with MANY more classes available and a full schedule on the weekends my exercise routine can actually gain some consistency. But because I am normally active anyway the main thing I'd like to improve this year is the way I eat. I need to do better at eating healthy and giving my body the proper nutrients...bring on the produce section!

I actually have one more item on my list that got some attention this month. I know, you're impressed right?! Oh just me? Okay, fine then. I'll wrap it up! But the scariest thing on that list (to me) is learning how to sew. And I actually have (let's hope) the most expensive part of that project done...the actual getting my hands on a sewing machine. And even better? It cost me nothing! No, I didn't steal it...my mom brought me her sewing machine to use, she rocks doesn't she? So I actually have a machine to start playing with now! Pretty important first step.
This is the machine...and I even purchase some thread and some REALLY cute fabric! But there will be some major experimenting on scrap fabric first! Now to figure out how to thread the machine...and that bobbin thing. Yes, I'm really that naive. Are you starting to understand why this scares the bejeezus out of me!?

1 comment:

  1. Love your goal list! Makes me motivated to do one myself. Since you mentioned eating healthier...i thought i'd give you a chicken pot pie recipe that is very similar but without the stick of butter. :) I like to used canned chicken breast to make the recipe even faster also!

    1 2/3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
    1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    1/2 cup milk
    1 egg


    1. Heat oven to 400°F. In ungreased 9-inch pie plate, stir vegetables, chicken and soup.

    2. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.

    3. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until crust golden brown.

    ReplyDelete

I Love your comments!